Saturday, January 31, 2009

Fighting natural forces in an unnatural world

In the name of God, Most Merciful, Most Kind,

* * *

What do moms fight about?

This one fights about the right to be more than a mother - to have an identity outside of the so-called mould.

I'm frustrated because I was raised to have many (perhaps too many) ambitions, and now I've got to tuck them into bed every night - as I tuck in the l'il women who have supplanted those ambitions.

I don't mind having to tuck the girls in, but I do mind having to suppress elements of my personality. Perhaps they hearken too much to a time long gone; but why must it be one or the other?

Some parents put their all into their children's up-bringing, and I'm truly impressed with the results. But I have a hard time doing it. Does that mean I'm a bad parent -- that I want about a third of my time, for myself?

Okay, so Islam is about being altruistic, true. And motherhood, is about sacrifice. Yes. But don't I have a right anywhere?

Is this a Western-influenced upbringing talking? A diatribe of the well-to-do mommy who has too little of substance to truly worry about (thank God); or do I have a right to have some time to recharge?

If only I could please everyone, equally, and not have to apologize for the li'l voice that struggles for a bit more than mommy duty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry didnt know where to ask. i was just reading your review on concentric circles by Elma Ruth Harder ion sisters magazine. Where can I buy this book apart from al-qalam publishing website. Their price is just too expensive for me and searching the net hasnt been helpful. did you buy it in the UK? from which shop? thanks in advance. jazakallah khayr

Media Club said...

Hi,
Can you email me and I'll forward you some information:
umfatima1@gmail.com

Jody said...

it's not easy to be a great mom, that's for sure!

I feel that grownup time to read, to meditate and reflect and to rest are a must. Your girls will appreciate you bringing a recharged self to caring for them, and will also benefit from all your interests and knowledge that you can share with them as they get older.

and please, keep taking the time for writing! your take on parenting is really interesting (and eye opening for us non-parents!)

Umm Fatima said...

I'm glad you're enjoying this. I've been so busy with homeschooling that I've slowed down on capturing thoughts....although, no news is good news! I've been actually enjoying the whole process of teaching - after I started reading the theories behind early childhood development. I'm a huge fan of Maria Montessori, right now, and wonder if I'll find anyone I admire more when it comes to thinking about little kids and how they can thrive....