Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sickness purifies

In the name of God, the most Merciful, the most Kind,
* * *
When the Prophet Muhammad, may peace be upon him, would see someone ill, he would often greet him with the following words;

“Do not worry. It is a cleansing and purification, if God so wills.” (Saheeh Al-Bukhari)

As I shrink within chilled skin, my body seemingly unattached from a head that pulses when in prostration to the Creator, I know that all I can think of is existence. No desires, no pride, no hope - nothing but existence and ultimately that I exist only because I was Willed to exist.

"Blessed is He in Whose hand is the Sovereignty, and, He is Able to do all things. Who hath created life and death that He may try you, which of you is best in conduct; and He is the Mighty, the Forgiving. [Qur'an 67:1,2 ]

It is in these moments, where energy is collected from recesses unimaginable and I am able to tend to a request from a child that has little thought to what her mother is going through, that one is amazed at the resilience that can exist, despite the battle being waged by invisible collections of microbes and viruses inside.

The determination to fulfill one's duty, when all that beckons is a blanket and mattress and silence, can spur mountains of cold and flu, and yet, when one submits, and lets it go, and sleeps . . .

"In Your name O God, I lay my side and in Your name I raise it. If you keep my soul, give it (Your Loving) Mercy, and if You release it, care for it as You care for Your righteous servants.”


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

Good one on Sickness purifies .I recently found out 1 million children are accidentally poisoned in their homes each year.And also I did find the toxins we use in our home here www.debtfreeliving.healthyhometour.com.I think it's time we all know about the toxins we use.

Thanks,
Camilynn