Saturday, November 14, 2009

Missing mom

In the name of God, Most Merciful, Most Kind,

* * *

It was nice to be with you tonight,
To see my reflection in the black
surrounded by flecks of green that turn blue
Bright
And I tried to share a life so remote
from your existence.
I held up broken mirrors to a past
that still pokes through
the disconnected thoughts
that jumble
Making it hard for you to say
words that
stop somewhere
before they can be heard.
I liked being with you
Just me and you,
Like before marriage
and children
and work
and all of this chaotic business
separated us.
Though we've been separated before
And by God's mercy
You are never alone.
But you and me
we have
butter and honey sandwiches,
french fries,
sizing up dresses that would make Dad's bills overflow,
and running for the bookstore.
We have that and so much more
and mom
I love you.
I love you.

And I pray that we really will go shopping in Heaven,
both of us,
33.

_____

"In Paradise there is a market to which the people will come every Friday. The northern wind will blow and shower fragrance on their faces and clothes and, consequently, it will enhance their beauty and loveliness. . ." Narrated by Prophet Muhammad, may peace be upon him, in the Book of Muslim.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that mashaAllah.

This one you should read at the women's event next year inshaAllah.

xx D

Umm Fatima said...

Thanks D! ---only if you are there!