Saturday, November 14, 2009

From the summer: On the water's edge

Yesterday, I would have come
here with you,
And you would have been here, next to me
as I stepped from
rock to jagged
rock.
Searching for flat surfaces, but longing
to reach the
edge,
Where I could turn my back
and hear only God's creation,
Splashing against the shore.
But
buckets of emptiness
create similar sounds
and I wonder
if it is my fault?
Is it because I choose not to conform to another
standard that
I fail to make this 'us'
work?
Does letting my mind drift to where
bubble wands and rainbows unite
mean
I am not ready to embrace a stronger,
better
reality?
Am I holding foam?
Does this mean my surrender has too many conditions,
and so isn't really surrender?
So maybe all the gates I've gone through have only allowed me
to circle a wide
expanse that I still have not entered and in this march towards
my Creator,
my innermost desires, and my deepest, hidden faults are manifest;
acting as a barrier
to the wide, clear expanse,
I long to reach.

No comments: